Overshadowed by her namesake predecessor and her Cunard-White Star Line fleetmates Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth (1940), Mauretania (1938) was a fine ship in her own right and would probably be more appreciated today if she had been launched with a different name.
“Mauretania 2,” as she was unofficially known, was launched on 28 July 1938 at the Cammell Laird shipyard in Birkenhead, England. At the time of her launch, the 35,738 GRT Mauretania was the largest ship ever built in England. She was 772 feet long and 89 feet at beam. The liner had a rated speed of 23 knots and could carry up to 1,360 passengers and 802 crewmembers.
Mauretania’s interior, decorated in a restrained late Art Deco style, similar to Queen Elizabeth’s. Mauretania’s exterior also strongly resembled QE, which sometimes resulted in casual observers misidentifying the smaller liner.
Mauretania, like her namesake and fleetmates, was a war veteran. During World War II, Mauretania traveled 540,000 miles (870,000 km) and carried over 340,000 troops.
To continue, click the NEXT button on the top of this page.