Transylvania (1926) was the second ship in Cunard Line’s Anchor Line subsidiary to bear the distinctive, although unusual (at least to modern observers), name. She was built in Glasgow by Fairfield & Co. and launched on 11 March 1925.
The two-screw 16,923 GRT liner, 552.4 feet long and 70 feet at beam featured three funnels in an odd two short, one tall arrangement. She offered accommodation for 279 First Class, 344 Second Class and 800 Third Class passengers. Top speed was around 17 knots.
Only one of Transylvania’s funnels was actually functional. The other two stacks served as decorations designed to make the relatively ordinary liner look mighty and important.
Despite her name, Transylvania was very much a Scots liner. Glasgow was her homeport. Transylvania sailed on her maiden voyage—Glasgow to Molville (Ireland) to New York on 12 September 1925. It’s tempting to observe that screen legend Bela Lugosi was at one time a celebrity passenger onboard Transylvania, but there’s no evidence to support this claim.
To continue, click the NEXT button on the top of this page.